Monday, June 11, 2012

Parting Gift

In a few weeks, I will pack up and move from the village of Yellow Springs, Ohio to the city of Columbus.

Today I received a very special gift from Yellow Springs' head (and other) cartoonist, Walter Rhodes: his own vintage calligraphy pen and pewter rest from Italy. 



Walter is an accomplished retired actor, an unforgettable personality, and an elder at the church where I currently work. I tried my best to be shy in his presence, but it was impossible to stay quiet around such a ham. We have spent many a long hour in the church office swapping ideas and stories and generally being kids.

True story from the church office.
Comic by M Young, color by Walter.

I have met many people who call themselves Christians in my life. Many of them horribly misunderstand the title, and most of them would bore God to tears. Walter is not one of those.

Read Walter's local cartoon series, Bench to Nowhere, here.

2 comments:

  1. Columbus is less than an hour away. Amy and I go there 2-3 times a month. Promise not to be a stranger or we will hunt you down... You have a unique talent and the personality it requires to fully explore it. Keep on doing what you are doing. We will miss you. And I don't know what I am going to do to keep Ernesto Bizarro occupied. Maybe we'll get him a dog. One that doesn't bite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Pastor Joe & Virgil! I will miss you both and appreciate your friendship during my time in the Springs! We will definitely keep in touch. : )

    ReplyDelete